What Is My Identity?
Your identity is the total sum of your behavior, values, morals, and looks. There are three more important aspects of anyone’s identity. These include your language, your culture, and your religion. These provide you with a moral compass which in turn leads to the 6 signs of a positive self-identity.
The beauty of having a positive self-identity is that you don’t care what anyone thinks. You love yourself for who you are because there’s no one in the world like you.
Here are some aspects that help identify your uniqueness:
Values and beliefs
Talents and skills
Likes and dislikes
Identity VS Personality
Staying true to your feelings and beliefs no matter where you are in the world is what defines you. Your identity stays the same throughout the years.
On the other hand, your personality is how you behave. This changes according to the situation or circumstance you’re in. You could be in a bad mood one day, hopeful the next.
Another example of personality is how you behave around others. You don’t act the same around your work colleagues the same as you do when you’re with your family or friends.
Yet, even with all these changes in moods and behavior, our identity stays the same.
6 Signs of a Positive Self-Identity
Here are six ways to reacquaint yourself with your identity in a healthy and positive way.
1. Recognize Your Weaknesses and Strengths The first step in having a positive self-identity is to know where you excel. Maximizing your skills in your everyday life is how you shine as an individual.
It’s also about knowing the areas where you don’t shine. You can either trust in your ability to achieve a certain goal and overcome your weaknesses. Or accept that you’re better at some things than others, and that’s okay.
Remember, life is all about how much trust you have in your abilities. Like Henry Ford said, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t-you’re right.” Take a minute and think about it.
2. Plan Out a Purpose in Your Life Setting out a plan for your life means you’re striving to have a sense of purpose. The best way is to combine both short-term and long-term goals.
This plan should also include having a positive outlook on your future. This sense of hope will come in handy when you’re going through a difficult time in your life.
3. Form Meaningful Relationships A well-balanced sense of self is established when you form healthy relationships with various people in your life. It could be your colleagues, neighbors, or the cashier at your local grocery store.
For one, it’s a great way to broaden your social circle. Plus, you gain certain skills, such as how to communicate effectively with others. It also teaches you how to resolve conflicts peacefully.
4. Take Part in Your Community Your perception of self is heightened when you’re part of a group, especially one with similar interests. Joining a volunteer group is one way to start. You can help out at local retirement homes or animal shelters.
Here are a handful of other ways to help around your community:
Donate food, books, clothes, linens, cleaning supplies
Buy from local grocers and food markets
Look for local music and arts festivals
Support local sports teams
5. Demonstrate Positive Values Your values are what you prioritize in yourself and others. They also help you set up boundaries with the people in your life. Learning how to stand up for these values is a sign of a positive self-identity.
Some of these values include:
6. Avoid Unhealthy Behavior We fall into certain bad habits that affect the way we see ourselves. These habits can range from how we see ourselves to things we do, like comparing ourselves to others. Some people turn to food, alcohol, and drugs to compensate for their low self-esteem. In all scenarios, the result is usually the same.
The following are some other unhealthy habits we need to avoid:
Agreeing to what others want to make them happy
Putting others’ needs before your own to feel more accepted
Talking bad about yourself
Dwelling on negative past experiences
The Takeaway of 6 Signs of a Positive Self-Identity
Developing a positive self-identity is hard. But it’s so worth it! When you acknowledge who you are and your view of the world, you become a strong individual.
Focus on the true identity within yourself. Take pride in your accomplishments, no matter how small they are.
What’s equally important is that you always pat yourself on the back. Encourage yourself to do a bit more the next day and try a bit harder the next time. If you don’t motivate yourself, no one else will! So, go out there and be the best you can be!
|Visit us on Facebook. Sign up for my monthly newsletter.|